In its role as the Subject Association for tourism in higher education in the UK. ATHE is keen to continue its commitment to voice… Read More
THE ASSOCIATION FOR TOURISM IN HIGHER EDUCATION (ATHE)
The Association for Tourism in Higher Education is the subject association for tourism in higher education in the UK. Its objectives include promoting the development and recognition of tourism as a subject of study in the UK at foundation degree, undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels, and encouraging high standards in learning, teaching and research. To this end, it works with other bodies concerned with higher education in the UK such as the Quality Assurance Agency and the Higher Education Academy; it is a Learned Society of the Academy for the Social Sciences.
- To act as the Subject Association for tourism in higher education in the UK;
- To promote the development and recognition of tourism as a subject of study in the UK and liaise as appropriate with other European Union countries and internationally;
- To encourage high standards in learning, teaching and research;
- To identify and communicate ‘good practice’, statistics and other information about first degrees and postgraduate qualifications in tourism;
- To support, undertake and disseminate research to further these objectives;
- To maintain links between education, employers and professional bodies.
The Benefits of Membership include:-
- Certificated Membership demonstrates high standing and esteem and demonstrates a commitment to supporting the subject within Higher Education in the UK
- The ATHE logo may be used on marketing publicity to demonstrate good standing.
- Valuable networking opportunities amongst fellow academics and and tourism professionals, giving advice, opportunities and sharing knowledge.
- ATHE sponsors undergraduate and postgraduate prizes at each member institution, with winners’ certificates presented at national conference with publicity provided on the ATHE website
- Eligibility for the respected ‘Making the Case’ awards sponsored by The Tourism Society, ABTA, and The Family Holiday Association with certificates presented at national conference and publicity provided on the ATHE website.
- Opportunity to influence and respond to national and international Higher Education policy initiatives
- Discounted fees for the Annual Conference which focuses on informing and debating the key issues for the Tourism subject and provides valuable personal continuing professional development.
- Opportunity to stand for election on the ATHE Executive committee to have a say in the future development of the Association.